Gun Safe FAQs
As a gun owner, one must be very responsible when it comes to keeping your firearms out of reach of kids and anyone who should not be using it. The only way that you can ensure that you keep it safe is through a durable gun safe.
Gun safes are good places to keep your firearms because these safes are made out of 100% steel. But the question really is, what makes a good gun safe? Looking for a gun safe is not easy; since they come in so many different shapes and sizes it is hard to determine which is a good choice from a bad one.
There are only two things that you should look at when buying a safe, first, you have to make sure that the steel is thick enough, and second would have to be the weight. The heavier the safe, the harder it will be for robbers to take it away from your possession.
Since buying a gun safe is not an easy task, sometimes there will also be some questions that you may want to ask that cannot be answered by just anyone.
We have provided you some quick rapid-fire answers to all the frequently asked questions that firearm owners such as yourself would normally ask when buying a safe for the first time.
For your convenience, is some of the need to know information that you will need with regards to finding the right safe.
A Custom Safe May be Useful for Your Space
Some gun safe manufacturers will sometimes allow customers to ask for a customized safe that is built to match your specifications. You can use a customized safe to reduce the weight of the safe as well as use it to save money.
The benefit of these customized safes is the fact that you can have extra sheets of steel welded on the side where the wall is exposed.
Or you can buy a gun safe with a basic thick shell body, but on the upper half of the safe wall, you can have extra steel welded so that you can save money and additional weight.
By doing this, you can add a little more protection to areas that are attacked fairly often with axes, without the additional weight or additional cost of extra steel in the shell entirely.
Gun safe FAQs
I just want to keep my guns away from my kids and possible thieves. What can you recommend?
When it comes to locking up your guns, there are many options that you can choose from if all your after is to secure your gun collection in a place that cannot be reached by your kids or possible robbers.
Most of these safes are very cheap and often twice as reliable than a simple gun safe. Here are some alternatives that you can try to lock up your guns:
- Improvise by using a job site toolbox – if you compare a toolbox with a gun safe, you will see that toolboxes actually have almost the same thickness in steel.
If you buy a toolbox, you can save about half the price off a normal gun safe, it will be more secure and will attract less attention from robbers. If you are looking for something cheaper, a toolbox can make a great alternative.
- Try to build your own hidden gun safe or buy one – if you are planning to make a hidden gun safe, you can use simple items like horizontal locking file cabinets that can be bought from a used furniture store for office supplies can make a great alternative gun safe.
- You can strengthen a closet or a pantry – if you have old closets or pantries that you do not use anymore to store household items, you can place a gun safe or a vault into it. This can also be used as a tool room or a reloading station.
I can’t afford the gun safe I want. What can I do?
If you have an old gun safe that you want to upgrade, there’s actually a lot of ways that you can do to increase protection for a cheap gun safe, follow this guide and you’re old safe will feel completely brand new:
- One of the ways that you can make your gun safe more useable, is to bolt down the safe in a good location around your home. This will ensure that no robbers will be able to take it from your household.
- You can be creative in terms of hiding your gun safe, like keep it under a floorboard or in a hollowed out refrigerator.
- You can also customize your safe by adding additional layers of steel in those parts where you need it the most.
- To make it hard for burglars to take your safe, you can build a protective closet around your gun safe. This will ensure that robbers will not be able to pry the door or attack on those sides that are the weakest.
- You also have the option to fireproof your own gun safe or put a sprinkler head in the gun safe. This will allow you to save more money because there is no fireproofing.
- One of the many mistakes a gun owner can make is the fact that they keep their tools out in the open. Ensure that you also keep your tools in its corresponding places to avoid robbers from using your own tools to break into your gun safe.
- To increase the value of the property that you own, you also have the option to improve the security in your home, and at the same time reduce any risks of a fire.
All in all, there are many ways that you can be productive when it comes to your gun safes. You can customize your own, but don’t be worried about how much money you spend, because even if you do end up spending more than you should, you will find that all the money you spent will be worth it in the end.
Gun safes are a good place to put your firearms. You must always be responsible when it comes to keeping it in a safe place so that no other people can get a hold of it.